Wednesday, October 15, 2008

So

How do you say this word? My conversation this afternoon with a dad reminded me that our tone of voice is even more powerful than our words. This dad asked me whether it is okay to respond with 'so'. Nothing wrong, right? Wrong. Seems his son had been using this word a lot when talking to his younger sister lately and to the father's ears it sounded very disparaging. The Chinese would say 'boh hor bean' to the sister's views at all. It was all in the tone of voice that the boy was using. So we tried out 'so' in various tones and we agreed that it is not the word so much as the tone that counted. Must watch my tone.

2 comments:

AJ7 said...

ha ha...the choice of songs...if the young flers listen to them...they'd be askin why so slow ones... yup...the tone of 'so' can mean quite a lot. I get quite an earful from my boy which very often irritates me... 8( because of the tone.

Saz_lasung said...

yeah... must watch my tone too... o_0